Saturday, August 20, 2011

Letter to Bangkok

Back in Thailand, the land of pop music. The fact that I know the words to Bruno Mars 'the lazy song', may be an indication that I have heard it one too many times since being in Thailand (although, I do have a talent for storing useless pieces of information for a very long time).
Its good to be back. Spent a day in Bangkok and thought I'd write a letter to the city, just for something different.

Dear Bangkok,

I spent half a day in Bangkok and looking back on that day, it's interesting that the one thing that stood out was the traffic. More specifically, the traffic control and their use of whistles. I mean really, what is this about? They stand at the end of a driveway/ intersection/road/ or just at random with their arms out blowing a whistle. Constantly. Unremittingly. But, let's not be fooled. There is absolutely no method to the madness whatsoever. I couldn't help but wonder whether it would be just as efficient, and sufficiently less piercing, if the whistles were removed altogether. Or - just to be really out there - I wonder what would happen if we removed these personal altogether? Probably not much. The traffic would still move at a crawl, and several people would lose some jobs. We don't want that. So just lose the whistles yeah?

Yours peacefully,

Tess

1 comment:

  1. hahaha i love that after your little story about whistles ending it with :yours peacefully.
    love your world honey xo

    ReplyDelete