Sunday, August 21, 2011

International traveller. By train is best.

Several nights ago I took the overnight sleeper train from Bangkok to Nong Khai, a town on the border of Thailand and Laos. For me, the sleeper train was like being rocked to sleep in a cot. I find traveling on trains extremely therapeutic and relaxing and always have.

Some of my favorite train journeys took place when I was at high school. Every Friday after school, I used to travel by train for an hour. The journey was from Masterton to Waterloo where Dad would be waiting to pick me up in the car. We'd then head to Eastbourne for my piano lesson with Bea (my Grandmother), sometimes stopping off for a sausy roll or chippies to get us through. I loved those afternoons.

Traveling by train then is something I look forward to. In fact, I would rather travel by train than car or bus any. Just sitting and having countryside whizzing by. Lovely.

That's all I've got for today folks. I'm on day three of a 7 day yoga course and feeling very relaxed and somewhat tired. I just attempted to go to a sculpture park, but turned back after being groped by man on a motorbike and then followed. The guy was trying to break my yoga zen. No such luck. Bit creepy though. So instead I'm sitting back reading my book overlooking the Mekong and listening to 'Longtime' by Salmonella Dub. Great song.

Not bad at all.

2 comments:

  1. I love travelling by train too Tess. I find it totally relaxing and find that watching the countryside rolling by just about the perfect way to get to anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry that last comment didn't make a lot of grammatical sense but you get what I mean I'm sure x

    ReplyDelete