Monday, July 25, 2011

An island in the sun

After a somewhat intense first day in Thailand, packing a little too much action into one day I woke up yesterday with a different plan of attack. Do one thing a day. I have five weeks after all. So yesterday's mission was a ferry trip to Phi Phi Island, a popular tourist destination in Thailand and known for it's amazing marine life and scuba diving (and partying, but that is so 2010).

I arrived at the ferry and as I passed my pack to the man on the ferry who was storing the luggage by simply piling all the bags on top of each other I wondered "hmmm I wonder how this is going to work at the other end". Well, it didn't work at the other end. In fact, it was a shit fight. But rather amusing all the same.

The main reason for me including Phi Phi in my travel plans is that I have two lovely friends who live on the island. Chris and Charlotte welcomed me with open arms and today Chris has started training me in my open diving cert. He is a very skilled and patient teacher and I can't wait to get going on day two. They both speak Thai and are slowly teaching me to say a few phrases like Hello, Thank you, and please no MSG haha that's an important one.

The island itself is really cute and the people here are so friendly and chilled out. I will add some photos at a later date. All in all, I am having a lovely time on Phi Phi and look forward to day two of scuba diving. Bring on the sharks.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Scuba diving, that's brilliant, I' glad you decided to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diving, so cool, lucky. It's been snowing here, actual snow on the ground in Masterton, running from the Warehouse to the car I got covered in it and Sarah said she and Tomas watched the snow flakes falling on the car yesterday morning. Crazy weather, lovely today though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sawadee Car!!! Reading your posts makes me remember my trip to Thailand all those years ago. Diving is awesome aye.....glad you're having a wonderful time xx

    ReplyDelete